Palazzo Papadopoli was built in 1550 by the architect Gian Giacomo de’Grigi. The hotel features one of the few private gardens on the Canal Grande and an expansive interior garden.
Island Planning Corporation undertook in-depth research into historic private gardens of Venice prior to designing the landscape for both Palazzo gardens.
One of IPC’s central objectives for this project was to develop a design that would correlate with the historic aesthetic and functional traditions of private gardens in Venice. The city’s lack of vehicle access was a major logistical challenge. All plant material was sourced by IPC, transported from the mainland and installed by a barge crane on the Grand Canal. During installation IPC provided onsite construction administration.